David A. Rothstein
David A. Rothstein was born September 28, 1970 in Yonkers, New York. Mr. Rothstein received his B.A. cum laude in 1992 from the College of the Holy Cross, where he also played varsity basketball and was elected Captain by his teammates as a senior. Mr. Rothstein then attended the University of Miami School of Law, where he served as a member of the University of Miami Law Review and graduated cum laude in 1995.
From the first five years of his practice, Mr. Rothstein worked for Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, P.A., one of Florida’s premier full-service law firms, where his practice as a trial lawyer involved all aspects of civil litigation. Mr. Rothstein next joined Hanzman & Criden, P.A., where he was promoted to partner and worked closely with The Honorable Michael A. Hanzman, now one of South Florida’s most respected trial court judges. Since the Founding of DKR in 2003, Mr. Rothstein has served as the Firm’s President and Managing Shareholder. In addition to his managerial responsibilities, Mr. Rothstein has a wide-ranging civil litigation practice and captains a team that handles matters in state court, federal court, and in arbitration proceedings.
Away from work, Mr. Rothstein enjoys spending time with his family, eating well, exercising vigorously, and traveling whenever the opportunity presents itself.
1Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Class-Action Litigation
- Florida, 1995
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1996
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida
- J.D. cum laude – 1995
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Law Review: University of Miami Law Review, Member
- College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, Massachusetts
- B.A. cum laude – 1992
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Honors: Captain, Men’s Varsity Basketball (1991-1992)
- Honors: Earned Three Varsity Letters
- Major: Political Science
4Honors and Awards
- “Legal Elite” by Florida Trend Magazine every year since 2006
- “Top Lawyer” by South Florida Legal Guide every year since 2007
- “Super Lawyer” by Florida Super Lawyers Magazine every year since 2008
- Indemnification Is Good, but Advancement Is Even Better: Make Sure You Know the Difference and Level the Playing Field from the Start, 93 Fla. B.J. 8 (November / December 2019)
- The Salary Cap: A Legal Analysis of and Practical Suggestions for Collective Bargaining in Professional Basketball., 11 Univ. Miami Ent. & Sport L. Rev. 251, 1994
- Contributor, Establishing Injury “By Reason of” Racketeering Activity: A Critical Analysis of the 11th Circuit’s Per Se Detrimental Reliance Requirement and Its Impact on RICO Class Actions., 77 Fla. B.J. 36, March, 2003
6Past Employment Positions
- Hanzman & Criden, P.A., Partner, 2002 – 2003
- Hanzman & Criden, P.A., Associate Attorney, 2000 – 2001
- Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, P.A., Associate Attorney, 1995 – 2000
- Office of the State Attorney, Certified Legal Intern, 1994
- Hon. William C. Turnoff, U.S. District Court-Magistrate Court, Judicial Intern, 1993
*CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.